In Part 1 I explained how my Garmin 60CSx booted up with a completely blank screen and doing a firmware update didn’t work – despite the update being successful. Now I’m going to tell you what I did do.
Frustrated I googled a bit more and happened upon this forum post where someone had taken their 60CSx apart and posted photos. The topic here was a broken receiver but the images were useful to me nonetheless.
I decided to pop open my own device and have a look to see if anything came loose. I didn’t take pictures, though I wish I did now, however I can provide detailed steps I took below on taking the 60CSx apart.
Disclaimer – I am not a Garmin technician, and doing this may void your warranty. You may simply want to send it back to them for repair, but I didn’t have a warranty, I bought mine secondhand.
- Pop open the battery cover and unscrew the 4 screws on either side, plus the 2 screws at the top of the casing in the deeper holes.
- Carefully tug at the back casing to remove – it should come away fairly easily but you’ll need to tear the silicon gel which will affect how waterproof your device is afterwards.
- Io unplugged the power supply for the USB/serial connector, I couldn’t remove the other cable for the compression connector but I was able to get inside anyhow with care.
- The next part was to prise out the clear plastic chassis. This is quite tight and I actually broke one of the screw hinges. I found the best way was to slide the mini screwdriver down the side and push the side of the casing outwards until it popped out.
- After you have the chassis out it’s possible to lift and slide the motherboard and screen downwards, being careful to slide the antenna out of the shock absorber at the top.
It then became clear to me what problem was. I noticed as soon as I lifted the LCD screen – the flex connector at the back had come loose!
After reconnecting and putting the motherboard back into the casing, I used superglue to fasten the screw hinge back on the chassis and then No More Nails glue to affix the rubber back in place on the outer casing ( I don’t have any silicon gel to hand). Hopefully it’s going to be waterproof enough again – but I’m glad to say I once again have a fully functioning 60CSx.
I thought this post might be helpful for anyone who finds themselves one day with the same problem.